SHOW BLOGGER TOOLBAR

Sunday 18 January 2009

Butchers of Distinction/Folk

With the season of bargains well under way now is a better time than any to get out and do a spot of shopping. A store that has been educating me on brands since the day it was born is Butchers of Distinction. I met the owner Matt Paton when I was opening my old store nearly 5 years ago. He gave me some really good advice and shared with me his impressive collection of sneakers and vinyl toys.

The store is based in The Old Truman Brewery just of Brick Lane and stocks brands such as Ralph Lauren, RAF by Raf Simons, 6876, Duffer, Baracuta, Folk, Levi's Vintage, Margaret Howell, YMC and Red Wings. Does anyone remember when they stocked Alife? Bring it back please.

The layout is set up to look like a butchers shop with block, hooks and slicer...
(Similar concept to our friend across the pond Daves Quality Meats)

bofd

bofd2

bofd3

The most stand out brand for me in there at the moment is Folk. If you haven't come across any collections from Folk then make sure you head down to BofD or their own store in Covent Garden. Started in 2001 garments included in their collections are shirting, knitwear, wovens, jersey and accessories. And on top of all that 3 years after Folk was launched came Shöfolk a sister brand which provides handmade shoes from Portugal.

For me their tailoring is second to none in its price range...

folk1

folk2

folk3

folk5

The brand uses the finest of materials (Japanese double face cotton and Bolivian Alpaca knitwear to name two) and their attention to detail is of utmost importance. Their ethos is to stay away from trends and to make garments that will become a staple fixture in anyones wardrobe.

If your after that clean, fuss free, subtle look then Folk is definitely the brand for you. Expect it to be a firm favourite by many this summer.

19 comments:

@misterlego said...

stores alot . . .

Elle Bee said...

Best denim stocklister in LDN.

Nick Lewis said...

I would have to say Ron, you might be wrong on that note, I like American Classics and Interstate in Covent Garden for my denim, but BofD does stock Sugar Cane, a great bit of denim. BofD, is a heavy shop but I find the staff quite rude. This blog has had many a discussion in the comments on BAPE staff and the like in the past. But regardless of my experiences, I love this shop. For friendlier staff and similar brands check out Oi Polloi (bit of a hike as its in manchester) their website is well worth checking out.

@OllieDanger said...

I've heard big things about Oi Polloi, my visits to Manchester in the past have been quite dissapointing but i'll defo hit them up if i return.

Interstate and A.Classics do carry some sick brands agreed. Looking to bring you something from Interstate soon.

Regarding the staff i've never had a problem with them but independent store staff need to fix up their game across the board.

Elle Bee said...

Interstate staff are sound as fuck in my experience. But inter state only stocks Edwin/Carhartt really in terms of denim. Brands like Sugarcane and vintage Levis are much better selvedge denim imo.

The value of Interstate is they only UK stockist i know of Ben Davis/Dickies.

American Classics is a bit over priced for me.

Elle Bee said...

Personally they been nuttin but good to me but found this:

http://youpissedmeoffyoubastard.blogspot.com/2006/12/covent-gardens-crappiest-shop.html

Nick Lewis said...

That blog post, although I can't discredit someones experiences, I've never ever had any problems with Interstate. The black guy with the dreads is a legend, was in there for ages a couple of weeks back just talking workwear and denim. American Classics is a little pricey, but I like what they stock, they have these wicked Japanese sweatshirts in stock at the moment, really thick and great quality but 80 quid is a little steep. (can't remember the brand name now)

Nick Lewis said...

Ollie check out the oi polloi site - http://www.oipolloi.com/

Anonymous said...

Thats the model they use for Oki-Ni hes so week!!!. he looks like a twat.


do you agree???

Tina Turnover said...

Nice post OD.

With trends moving so fast in my mind its all about good quality staples.

Anonymous said...

Yea the dreadstar is a LEGEND!

Nick Lewis said...

Tina you hit the nail on the head. I think with brands like Folk, Nome De Geurre and staple workwear brands like Woolrich, Red Wing, Edwin etc they will always be timeless classics, which will stand the test of time. I've got a wardrobe littered with streetwear which at the time or over the summer were wicked pieces, but looking back I don't think I can get away with it. 10deep being one of my old vices which makes me cringe just thinking about wearing certain items again.

Unknown said...

Nick most of the brands you mentioned take there style from workwear. And the great thing about workwear is that it wasnt created to be fashionable it was created to be functional. This gives the garments timeless appeal because they will constantly be worn by those who work.
Denim is a perfect example...it will never go out of fashion, only the cuts and washes will come and go.
Its going to be very interesting to see how workwear fairs in the summer months.

I fully understand what your saying about your streetwear garms, fear not though their day will come again. But for now maybe we'll see a change in design from these streetwear brands. Visim and Head Porter are brands that seem to be on point for me.

Nick Lewis said...

I'm feeling visim too. There was an interesting piece in the guardian on saturday about workwear, and how some v.highend brands are adopting it, and puting a hefty 500+ price tag on it just makes me shudder to be honest. We pay over the odds on these shores for American workwear as it is, I would never buy "runway workwear". Also devastated to see Topman are now doing a rip-off redwing at the mo for £60. But then again red wing got used as a style keynote for BAPE and the reebok workout. swings and roundabouts. I'll still be rocking my red wings in 10 years time as I have over the last 5 years.

Anonymous said...

this off topic, but some of the bntl guys taper their jeans, i was jus wonderin how u came about doing tht? tailored or just another trick??

Elle Bee said...

A few of us definitely tailor our stuff. Dont think any of us use any tricks to make our denim appear tapered.
I started getting my ish tapered becuase i liked some shit but they didnt fit 100% correct...

@witts_bntl said...

Taper the leg so they sit pretty with your shoes. Simple!

14 inch FTW

Anonymous said...

yhh thnks for the replies on the tapering, now all i need is a place to do ittt and recomendations?

Anonymous said...

Interstate offer a good alteration service