SHOW BLOGGER TOOLBAR

Thursday 31 July 2008

American Splendor

Tonight my eyes were blessed with one of Cleveland's best exports, depression. For some perverse reason i find films about menial, routine stuff, based in noname American towns fascinating and 'American Splendor's' doom and gloom plus static plot delivered this to perfection.

Just like the dark smoky rooms Mike Figgis portrays in 'Leaving las vegas' and the attraction the audience develops towards Nicholas Cage's depressing predicament, American Splendor had me wishing my life amounted to little more than 5 days a week working a deadend clerks job, with a disfunctional relationship and a testicular lump to match.

American Splendor


The film is also interesting becuase it involves sketches and artwork by R.Crumb, an illustrator with a fetish for bigger women and domination. The supreme fans out there will know recognise his work from the collaboration he was involved with in 2007

4 comments:

Matthew Schnickens said...

I was mad bored while watching that movie.

Anonymous said...

If you want to be depressed go read the comics. Some great stuff!

Anonymous said...

What matt said.....Im just not really a fan of Paul Giamatti. Theres something about him that just really annoys me to my very core and makes me want to put my hand through my TV and bitch slap that punk!! :)

Matthew Schnickens said...

On another note, he was good in Confidence.