SHOW BLOGGER TOOLBAR

Wednesday 23 January 2008

Accumulative Clutter..

..Where does this stuff come from? Over the years we collect piles and piles of seemingly useless objects, and then proceed to keep them as some sort of sentimental gesture...

Looking through my old stuff, I rather efficiently archived 22 years of stocking fillers, cracker toys and all manner of things I've acquired and preserved along the way.. Below is a minor insight.. we all have this stuff, but what's the reason?

P1240264
Hacky Sack, definite stocking filler - Used and loved for about 2 hours, until the innards started coming free from the sack..

P1240265
Leaf with my name on it, from my Dads wedding.. It used to be green.. Normally people don't keep leaves..

P1240266
Skateboard wheel. 1 of 4, not sure where the other 3 are though.

P1240267
BB Gun, purchased off of Alex Foster in year 10 for the extortionate price of £20, now missing a clip.. Provided great amusement, especially capping an unexpecting Richard in the arm out the window. Brap.

P1240268
Got a lot of negative feedback when wielding this phone, due to it's deep red colour, and the mirror on the front.. Tape now holds the battery and signal in place, hasn't worked for a good few years....

P1240269
A HEADLESS TIGER WITH A GOLD NECKLACE!?!? Christmas present from my Auntie..

P1240271
A remnant of the Driving Range days, from which we stole buckets and buckets of balls.. Which we later frittered away, not bothering to collect them.. for some reason, this has stayed with me.

P1240272
An innocent spoon.. No, really.. No drugs have ever been heated up on this.. I remember getting it from a Ski resort in France, over one meal I noticed the spoons were flexible, so I created this, much to the dismay of the owner.. He charged me the pitiful total of 1 euro to account for my damage.. I paid, and kept my spoon - for 6 years and running..

P1240273
Spike from a porcupine as discovered in Italy as a youth.. I did use to have alot, and they were alot bigger, but in-sufficient preservation has had the above effect.

P1240274
Hasn't ticked for 10 years.

P1240275
I haven't had an N64 for a good few years now, but somehow could never force myself to part with Goldeneye, just on the off chance I go somewhere that has an N64 (without Goldeneye).. you know.

P1240276
Wind-up brain.. Essential.

P1240277
Pink plectrum, as comandeered from James Day in French class, un-used (by me).

P1240278
Screw-driver kit.. straight out the cracker. Deadstock.

P1240279
Tech Deck finger-boarder.. with magnetic feet.

P1240280
I was part of the Mini-Disk revolution that never took off. Shame.

P1240281
I'd lost Cartman for a number of years.. he's made a welcome return.

P1240283
Turkish Millionaire, what what what what what what what?

P1240284
Depressing remnant of the Subbuteo days.

P1240285
An actual bomb, I think this is a dog chew, some how it found its way into my mountain of clutter..

P1240286
Drunken vandalism has never been the one.. And the 'chain' is actually a belt of a womans dress we found in Oxfam, costing a total of 40p, after the old women in there painstakingly took the thing off the dress..

P1240288
Never played baseball..

P1240289
A reminder of my trip to LA, an adventure on which I came closer to death than I've ever been before! A good point to almost end on..

I did have loads more to do, but I got caught up looking at old photographs, and when I went back to taking pictures of useless items, I'd lost the impetus, so there it is, the mainstays. Still never got over the fact my mum sold my Thunder Birds, Crash Dummies & Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles at carboot sale prices. Thing is though, when you don't have these seemingly meaningless figures of your past, you really want them, but when you have them.. you just keep them hidden away in closets attics and garages.. Such is the curse of sentimentality.

6 comments:

Cath. said...

hahaha! The funny thing is.. everybody has stuff like this.

"Tech Deck finger-boarder.. with magnetic feet"
"Wind-up brain.. Essential. "

oh yes. Mac Donald's toys haha.

great post x

@witts_bntl said...

epic blogging

@misterlego said...

LMAO i was part of that mini disc crew ! ! !

Anonymous said...

Whos doesn't love alot of junk in the trunk?
going through your junk once a year,reminiscing is worth keepin the stuff

I had 2 cameras,lost both and never invested in a camera again so I always make sure I pick up flyers from events,clubs etc as memories so I have a shoe box just full of flyers.

Anonymous said...

lol. mini discs were sik. i have a mercedes and chain thingy too.

Anonymous said...

Haha!! Loved this entry, done know about Goldeneye! Swear down it's still the best game around. You'll still get duppied though, it's nothing.