SHOW BLOGGER TOOLBAR

Friday 21 August 2009

'But I grip my dragons and I leave in peace'

With Carnival weekend being just around the corner I felt that it was only right to write a little article on a particular brewery and beverage which I am sure many would relate to the Notting Hill Carnival and Jamaican culture alongside its lighter and slightly weaker brother Red Stripe.

dgold

The Desnoes & Geddes Ltd brewery company came about in a very simple manner with the meeting of two young men in the offices of the West Indies Mineral and Table water company in Kingston, Jamaica. Thomas Hargreaves Geddes and Eugene Desnoes both shook hands this one morning which in turn signified the start of a legacy and what was to be an 82 year long partnership.

dragonstout

Over the years the business was kept within the family as the partnership took the opportunity to make a specifically Jamaican beer and to produce it to international quality.

I think it is safe to say that their dream became reality and with this when they could happily boast a portfolio of highly respected brand names such as 7-up, Coca Cola, Heineken and of course Dragon Stout to name a few.

drgst

The rest of the Desnoes & Geddes Ltd heritage can be found HERE

Thanks to the
Dragon Stout website I shall share this :

'In the Caribbean Da Dragawn is seen as a relaxing drink to “Smooth out a Hard Day” and is favoured by the working classes. In the Caribbean, rumour has that it is good for improving sexual desire and performance, but we can’t guarantee that, since we believe practice make perfect!'

I would like to round off this article with two items I feel that link in with the theme of Dragon Stout in one way or another.

The first being a snippet from Roots Manuva - 'Strange Behavior'

Was me and my bold self with 5 bags of copper
Splashed out on the counter at PJ Patel's
He's far from happy with my method of pay
I shrug my shoulders, I'm like what can you say?
It's money ain't it, I ain't beggin you jack
And the mood I'm in I might just give you a slap.
But I grip my dragons and I leave in peace
As I stepped thru the door he heard the kiss of my teeth


And the second being an instrumental riddim from Wiley.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

dragon stout all day. dont forget the curry goat, rice n peas, dunplins, plantain bossss

Joshua said...

Young veteran out 'ere.

Mark Garvey said...

:/