SHOW BLOGGER TOOLBAR

Tuesday 2 October 2007

Don't Nobody Care About Us!!!!!!

Taking my chances weather wise I headed Northward;

P1170801

Tonight was the night Slum Village came to the Jazz Cafe, and it may never be the same again.. After the destory and rebuild process, around a hundred odd patrons will remember the night Elzhi & T3 ruptured the foundations of North Londons musical abode, with considerable assistance from Phat Kat (and some might say - Lifesavas, but I wasn't overly keen). I met Shan around 8ish and we headed for the Jazz Cafe - via the irate doorman, who was very eager to turf us, since we apparently jumped the que twice... he even let a couple of people come from behind us to get in first, just to re-itterate he was boss.. what a wolly! Despite his irritable intermission, we ventured in (belatedly) to find few other people had thought like minded and turned up on time.. So with time to spare, I was introduced to the future of UK hiphop.. Allow me to introduce Mentalist and K-Nite13;

P1170804
L-R - Mentalist, his brother and beatmaker K-Nite13 and their very own special guest hypeman, Mr Shan Phearon.. I was kindly blessed with their EP, which I am yet to hear, but when I do, given what I'm told is true, there will be a rave review up on this very same blog the very same day... check back standardly... The beats are comparable to Pete Rock and God! - that's the word. Check these links, Mentalist myspace page & K-Nite13's myspace page. Add them up now, and give their tracks a listen, and if you see them on road... give them £5 and walk away with an EP! Review soon coming.

Anyway, so shortly after that, Lifesavas entered the fray... Now, I've heard them a few times before (though never live) and never really minded them... but when this guy came out in a gold rope and a Shmack t-shirt I thought I was in for a rocky time;

P1170805

I refrained from mentioning he was wearing RIDICULOUS glasses, didn't I.. but you can see that shit for yourself... despite the visual aspect, they weren't bad, and a few decent tracks were dropped. Mid-way through their performance I had to go outside to organise the entry of others, met Colin and (coincidentally) Taya and Kesi, Taya rolling up with the L plates newly off, parrallel parking was there! Then we met Sian and everyone entered the premises.

P1170809
Me + Sian and a few others.

P1170814
There's this new thing, where people cover their face on photos to try and dispell their blog fame, here Asantewa does her rendition....

P1170815
..Then Phoebe...


..wankers.


Kesi & Taya, co-founders of Operation X! FOR-EVER!

P1170820
Some homeless chick came around asking for potential bedding for the night, Elzhi was nice enough to give her this.

P1170827
Stand close to my main man like a chain gang. Colin the great.

And he rocked...
P1170830

And Shan rocked..
P1170838

And Phoebe rocked...
P1170840

The crowd was hyper-active! Obviously, as is customary of the jazz cafe, you have a few 'odd' looking characters standing statuesque, facing the stage, trying to look civilized, 'old tight Pete Burns look-a-like, I didn't get your picture, and you probably don't know who you are! But aside from that, the crowd was fantastic, obviously if you brought your best shoes out, I feel bad for you, and if you think hiphop gigs are a non-contact sport, this show was probably not for you. With that said, Phat Kat consistently merked his set, though I was disapointed he only dropped the first verse on 'Don't Nobody Care About Us' and the chorus about 50 times, c'est la vie. Elzhi & T3 followed up nicely, and I think 'Fall In Love' was their best recieved track, but they mixed it up with a wide selection from their catalogue... 'Reunion' was sorely missed, but 'Danger' and 'Get This Money' filled the void... I can't describe the night with adequate intricacy, so you'll have to wait for Mr. Phearon's post some-time soon for the full ins and outs of the affair... But it was a bloody fantastic evening.

On the way out we recieved tickets to a free event at the jazz cafe tomorrow night, with Waajeed (of Platinum).. It's free, so reach.

P.S - Big up the 168, which I found out this evening is, in fact, not my bus! So there!

MORE SOON!

1 comment:

Phoebe said...

When you've lived on the 168 bus route for twenty years, then we'll be able to discuss the possibility of it being 'your' bus. Until then it is undoubtedly, irrefutably MY bus. (And before any fool tries to move to the 7 bus, they should know that that bus also belongs to me and I will beef anyone who says otherwise)

On a less pschyopathic note....Good night, hope you enjoyed yourselves.
X