SHOW BLOGGER TOOLBAR

Wednesday 27 February 2008

Belated weekend summary

After much deliberation, phone called and walking to and from the bus stop, people finally decided on an action plan. For a pleasant change I was going to med bar. Although not a drum n bass night so I wasn't expecting a great deal (even though the flyer claim we would be "dubstepping down a lane of grime and electro") excuse the electro the dubstep and grime would be fine.A 10.45 arrival meeting Ollie and others inside and forking out £10 for entry! damn rip off!


We chilled upstairs on the sofas for an hour or so, headed over to the kitchen for a acquittance of Ollie to play a set. Before this who ever was DJ'ing should really reconsider their life priorities, attempting a club DJ set from a mini ipod and ipod mixer is going about things all wrong to begin with. Teaming that up with the fact you cant mix to save your fucking family and pet gold fishes life whilst they re held hostage by Taliban freedom fighters isn't a big look. Sorry for the rant but SERIOUSLY YOU SILLY SCENESTER KIDS LEARN TO MIX BEFORE YOU TRY AND PLAY OUT AT A CLUB.

The mixer is in the middle love

Ipod mini mixer

We don't mix we dance:

So we milled around until 1.30, Ollie was asked a few times if he was selling drugs to his annoyance, but what can he expect stood by the door looking a bit moody with what could be described as a "shotters pouch" but in fact is a camera bag. The time came and we ventured over for Mary Ann Hobbs, anticipating her two hour set but unsure of what kind of tunes she would draw for.

My my my we got a big treat. Two hours of pounding dubstep dropping new tunes, old tunes and straight up disgusting tunes. Gun fingers and screwed faces were an epidemic amongst the crowd. Mary Ann Hobbs laid down the laws of dubstep and proceeded to break them!

3.30 came and off stepped Miss Hobbs so we ventured to the drum n bass in the kitchen where two "unknowns" were playing back 2 back, I had to stop skanking to watch and listen to these guys. They were very good, looks like the hours of bedroom practise paid off because the mixing and double dropping was faultless, I wont be surprised to see these guys get more bookings! So Friday was over and the early morning of Saturday was upon us. Home to bed for a fairly early rise for a weekend.

Up at 9.30 popped round to my barbers for a haircut, home, shower then a driving lesson, home, food then into town to the opticians. My third attempt at the contact lens induction, failing miserably the past two times I went tired and frustrated with the attitude of "I'm not gonna get these in, I may as well start looking at frames". I had a different guy this time and he really went into depth about technique and pointers of putting the lenses in and finally I got them in! I don't have to wear glasses!


After some much needed chilling I had some tasty home cooked Lasagna for tea and pondered the evening ahead. With guest list offers from two places, one being "Kronik Hertz" at the Basement and the other Ollie's night "Vinyl is... " over in Coventry I couldn't decide what to do?

Considering stopping in because I was still tired, I packed a bag and headed into town without a certified plan. Whilst on the bus I decided I'll hit up Kronik Hertz until about 11.30 then head over to Coventry.

Getting to Basement stupidly early at 10 o'clock the venue was empty, an hour went by and it was still empty. Pez on the decks 10-11 didn't really bother mixing and just played tracks for the fun of it. So I headed to New Street and jumped on the train to Coventry.

Meeting Chloe unexpectedly getting off the train we ventured to Ollie's to drop some bags off and called a Taxi to "Vinyl is..." after a comical dispute with the taxi driver over the meter starting at £3.60, then realising we had reached our destination without it going up? We jumped the cue and headed straight in.

Talk about a roadblock at least a hundred people outside, and the venue absolutely rammed inside the party vibes were flowing with Coventry's coolest inside... Me,Me, Me were on the decks (well CDJ's) with a mix of bassline, house, dubstep, and crazy shit.. the crowd were loving it, not really to my taste but it got a little head nod. My time was coming at 3am with a dubstep set from Innersence, sadly this wasn't to be.

Half way into the set from residents Ed and Dom security switch on the lights and off goes the sound. Game over, Night over. Police orders outside the venue must be closed... too bad as the vibes inside were crazy.

After waiting around for about 45minutes packing up we headed back to Ollies via "Istambul" Coventry's finest early morning kebab shop. Opting for a chicken burger we headed to the house, with a disastrous series of events I ended up with mayonnaise on my hoodie but oh well...

Then chillin till the early morning, a few hours sleep then the 15:00 train to Brum and home for Sunday lunch!

Paix.

4 comments:

@OllieDanger said...

Great blog....summed up the w'end perfectly.

The police cant tame the monster that is 'vinyl is'!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ahh thanks for giving me a mention hun, even if it was only that I made a fool out of myself in front of the taxi driver - 'Lady, you from Birmingham???' Haha!

It was a good night - lovely to see you again! Hopefully we'll have some more when I'm back at easter!

Take care.

Adam said...

"We don't mix we dance"

definately gonna be the new naked lunch mantra.

Adam
NL
x

Jennifer said...

ahhhhh witts! that was a night to rememeber, possibly one of my favourites despite the police intervention! top 5. more soon bab! x x x x